The Power of Commitment 委身的力量
March 25, 2012 三月二十五日
The power of commitment
Sermon 講道 1, Sermon 講道 2
• Five were captured by the British and tortured before they died. 5個人被俘虜並凌虐至死
• Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
• Two lost their sons in the Revolutionary Army.
• Another had two sons captured.
• Nine of the fifty-six fought and died from wounds or hardships of the war. 56人中的9個人因參加戰役而死
• Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships sunk by the British navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts and died in poverty. 維吉尼亞州的Carter Braxton原本是一位富有的拓荒者並商人，眼睜睜的目睹英國海軍擊沉他的商船，以致後來負債困頓而死
• At the battle of Yorktown, the British General Cornwallis had taken over Thomas Nelson’s home for his headquarters. Nelson quietly ordered General George Washington to open fire on the Nelson home. The home was destroyed and Nelson died bankrupt.
在Yorktown戰役中，Thomas Nelson因為他的家被英國將軍Cornwallis佔為指揮所，遂要求George Washington將軍開火摧毀他的家，以致後來沒有房子住破產而死
• John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying. Their thirteen children fled for their lives. His fields and mill were destroyed. For over a year, he lived in forest and caves, returning home only to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later, he died from exhaustion.
John Hart從他妻子臥病在床的家中被驅離，農莊被毀，13個孩子被迫分別逃命，他躲在森林與洞穴中超過一年，回家後發現妻子已經身亡孩子們都不見了 ，幾星期後他疲憊而死
1. Commitments are often preceded and followed by struggles
25 About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came to them, walking on the water. 26 When the disciples saw him, they screamed in terror, thinking he was a ghost. 27 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “It’s all right,” he said. “I am here! Don’t be afraid.” 28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you by walking on water.” 29 “All right, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. 30 But when he looked around at the high waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted. 31 Instantly Jesus reached out his hand and grabbed him. “You don’t have much faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?” Matthew 14:25-31
25 天快亮的時候（“天快亮的時候”原文作“夜裡四更天”），耶穌在海面上向他們走過去。 26 門徒見他在海面上行走，就很驚慌，說：“有鬼啊！”並且恐懼得大叫起來。27 耶穌立刻對他們說：“放心吧！是我，不要怕。” 28 彼得對他說：“主啊，如果是你，讓我在水面上到你那裡去。” 29 他說：“來吧！”彼得就從船上下來，行在水面上，走向耶穌那裡去。 30 但他一見風浪就害怕，快要沉下去的時候，就呼叫：“主啊！救我！” 31 耶穌馬上伸手拉住他，對他說：“小信的人哪，為甚麼疑惑？”
31 “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to have all of you, to sift you like wheat. 32 But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen and build up your brothers.” 33 Peter said, “Lord, I am ready to go to prison with you, and even to die with you.” 34 But Jesus said, “Peter, let me tell you something. The rooster will not crow tomorrow morning until you have denied three times that you even know me.”
31 “西門，西門，撒但設法要得著你們，好篩你們像篩麥子一樣； 32 但我已經為你祈求，叫你的信心不至失掉。你回頭的時候，要堅固你的弟兄。” 33 彼得說：“主啊！我已經準備好要跟你一同下監，一同死。” 34 耶穌說：“彼得，我告訴你，今天雞叫以前，你會三次說不認得我。”
Peter’s path to restored commitments: 彼得的委身恢復之路
• Denial of his weakness否認他的軟弱
• Denial of his relationship否認他的關係
• Restoration – his own faith and the faith of the other disciples 恢復：自己的信心與其他門徒的信心
39 Then, accompanied by the disciples, Jesus left the upstairs room and went as usual to the Mount of Olives. 40 There he told them, “Pray that you will not be overcome by temptation.” 41 He walked away, about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine.” 43 Then an angel from heaven appeared and strengthened him. 44 He prayed more fervently, and he was in such agony of spirit that his sweat fell to the ground like great drops of blood. Luke 22:39-44
39 耶穌出城，照常往橄欖山；門徒們跟著他去。40 到了那地方，耶穌對他們說：「你們要禱告，免得陷於誘惑。」41 於是耶穌離開他們，在約扔一塊石子的距離，跪下禱告，42 說：「父親哪，若是你願意，就把這苦杯移去；然而，不要照我的意思，而是要成全你的旨意。」43 有一個天使從天上向他顯現，加強他的力量。44 在極度傷痛中，耶穌更懇切地禱告，他的汗珠像大滴的血滴落在地上。路加福音 22:39-44
2. Despite struggles, commitments are worth making and worth keeping
2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish. He was willing to die a shameful death on the cross because of the joy he knew would be his afterward. Now he is seated in the place of highest honor beside God’s throne in heaven. 3 Think about all he endured when sinful people did such terrible things to him, so that you don’t become weary and give up.
2 專一注視耶穌，就是我們信心的創始者和完成者。他因為那擺在面前的喜樂，就忍受了十字架，輕看了羞辱，現在就坐在 神寶座的右邊。 3 這位忍受罪人那樣頂撞的耶穌，你們要仔細思想，免得疲倦灰心。希伯來書 12:2-3
Type of commitments you can make today:
• Becoming a Christian成為一個基督徒
• Being baptized 受洗
• Letting God use you in ministry to others
• Daily time of prayer and Bible study
• Make things right with people you have hurt
• Forgive those who have hurt you